Dental implants are the standard of care for patients with missing or damaged teeth because they are permanent, easy to care for, and look just like your natural teeth. Moreover, a few short visits with Dr. Troyan can restore a beautiful smile and help you regain your confidence. However, there are a few things that can interfere with your chance of dental implant success. The primary risk to your dental implants is failing to practice good oral hygiene. Continue reading to discover important ways that patients can ensure that their gorgeous new smile lasts for many years to come.
Here are seven easy steps you can take to ensure dental implant success:
1) Halt Tobacco Use. Smoking can dehydrate oral tissues, interfere with healing, and increase chances of oral diseases. Studies have also shown that smoking creates a long-term danger to dental implant patients because it can increase the chances of periodontal disease and dental implant failure.
2) Follow Doctors Orders. This is particularly important after your dental implant procedure since your implant site needs the chance to heal properly. Avoid chewing on your implant site, keep the implant site clean, and inspect the area regularly to ensure that your implant fixtures heal completely.
3) Brush, Floss And See Your Dentist Regularly. Dental hygiene is extremely important to maintaining a healthy smile. A clean mouth with help implant fixtures heal better and faster.
4) Choose A Balanced Diet. A balanced diet helps keep teeth and gums strong and healthy. A well balanced diet also helps the body stay healthy so that it can heal faster and fight off infection.
5) Avoid Sugar. Sugar can change the pH balance in your mouth, increase plaque, and increase the chances of cavity formation. And brushing doesn’t always help. The best way to keep your teeth and smile healthy is to avoid sugar all together.
6) Avoid Eating Very Hard Foods. Hard foods can crack, loosen, or damage natural teeth and dental implants alike. Avoid hard candies, very hard breads, and other foods that could potentially damage your teeth.
7) Reduce Alcohol Consumption. Alcohol can dehydrate oral tissues, interfere with healing, and increase the chances of oral problems. If patients want the best chance of letting their implants heal properly, they should avoid alcohol until dental implants have fully healed.
Most patients have spent a lot of time and money on their dental implants, so it’s important to practice good oral hygiene in order to avoid complications that could lead to implant failure. Good oral hygiene is also a very critical part of caring for your dental implants because it helps maximize plaque and bacteria removal that could cause trouble for your implant. So how do you achieve good oral hygiene? Patients should schedule regular dental visits, brush properly after every meal, floss regularly, and use a good quality mouth rinse if necessary.
Inadequate oral hygiene could lead to the loss of your dental implants. If oral hygiene is poor, bacteria can multiply on the surface of the implant. This could result in severe inflammation of your gums, which is called mucositis. If this condition is left untreated, serious bone loss around the implant could result, leading to peri-implantitis.
Peri-implantitis is inflammation around the implant which causes bone loss. Peri-implantitis is much like periodontitis which is caused by similar bacteria. Like periodontitis, peri-implantitis leads to a breakdown of the bone tissues in the jaw. Peri-implantitis is actually the most common cause of loss of implants because it often causes the implant to loosen and fail.
The first step in getting your teeth repaired with beautiful dental implants is to call our office for a consultation. This first examination will allow us to look at your teeth, take x-rays, and discuss your options. You will also receive a written estimate for the cost of our services and have the opportunity to ask questions. Ultimately, patient comfort at every stage of the process, is our number one goal, so come see us today to get started on a stunning new smile.
Here at Royal Dental Care, our fantastic staff can’t wait to help you repair your damaged teeth with wonderful dental implants. So, if you live in the Hoffman Estates or Norridge, IL area, don’t wait to get that gorgeous smile you have always dreamed of. Call us today or check out the rest of our dental implants website for more information about the dental implants process, candidacy, or financing options.
Dr. Peter Troyan
Royal Dental Care
7601 W Montrose Ave. Suite 2
Norridge, IL 60706